RCAS launches virtual school pilot program
RAPID CITY, SD – In fall 2021, Rapid City Area Schools plans to launch a virtual school pilot program.
According to RCAS, this virtual pilot is not a response to COVID-19, but rather a growing interest in an online learning platform from students and families.
- There will be extremely limited space for Kindergarten to Grade 12 students.
- Fifty elementary school students, 30 middle school students and 50 high school students will be selected through an application process.
- Students will be considered based on their past success with distance learning, attendance, and overall fit. If there are more applicants than places, participants will be selected through a public lottery process.
- Primary school students will attend classes taught by RCAS certified primary school teachers, dedicated solely to virtual school.
- Middle school students will take courses through Black Hills Online Learning, with certified teachers employed outside of RCAS.
- High school students will take lessons using Edgenuity, a self-paced online program, which will be supervised by certified RCAS teachers.
Since the virtual school is a pilot, there will be a limited number of course options, particularly at the high school level.
If the applications exceed the capacity of the pilot capacity, a lottery will be used to determine which students will be accepted into the virtual school pilot project. In addition, high school students graduating from the virtual school will get a basic diploma. To learn more about the different degrees available, click here: Graduation Requirements – Rapid City Area Schools (rcas.org)
This is a one-year commitment, but district leaders and families may reassess semester if this learning style is not successful for a particular student.
High school students who do not pass would be required to attend Rapid City High School for the remainder of the semester. Primary and middle school students would attend school in their area of attendance.
If you would like your child to participate in this pilot program, please complete the following form and complete the survey here: Qualtrics Survey | Qualtrics experience management
Parents are requested to submit their application no later than Friday May 21.